A joint Identity Security Strike Team operation in Sydney has led to the arrest of two men for producing fake identity material and committing credit card fraud.
Following investigative activities over the past eight months, search warrants were executed at a number of locations on Tuesday, including a Riverwood premises where police will allege that the 52-year-old man manufactured false documents, including driver licences, Medicare cards and credit cards. A 47-year-old Burwood man was identified as sourcing the identification information and supplying the completed false identification documents to others.
A substantial amount of cash was also seized during Tuesday’s search warrants. The alleged criminal activity used high-end printing and manufacturing equipment to produce cards that were strong versions of officially-issued items.
AFP Manager Sydney Office Ray Johnson said the arrests highlight the value of intelligence and co-operation in disrupting identity fraud in Australia.
“This joint operation was established earlier this year to act on intelligence about the alleged criminal production of driver licences, credit cards and other identification,” Commander Johnson said.
“This group was sophisticated in producing cards and other documents that were good-quality copies of legitimate documents. Unfortunately for the two men arrested on Tuesday, the intelligence that led us to them was correct and allowed us to shut down a criminal enterprise that was resulting in a substantial amount of fraud.”
The 52-year-old Beverley Hills man was charged with:
- Once count of Conspiracy to Cheat and Defraud.
- 10 counts of Deal with identity information, contrary to Section 192J of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).
- Seven counts of Make/possess equipment to make false documents, contrary to Section 256(1) Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).
- One count of Deal with property suspected of being proceeds of crime, contrary to Section 193C Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).
Yesterday (11 September 2013), he appeared at Burwood Local Court for a bail hearing, which was refused. He was remanded in custody to next appear on 2 October 2013.
The 47-year-old Burwood man was charged with:
- One count of Conspiracy to Cheat & Defraud.
- Nine counts of Deal with identity information, contrary to the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).
- Two counts of Make/possess equipment to make false documents, contrary to the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).
- One count of Possess false document to obtain financial advantage, contrary to the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW).